Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thanks Dad

It is Father's Day....and I love my dad. I know that a lot of people grow up with either no dad, or a terrible excuse for a fatherly figure...My heart goes out to these kids and even adults who are still effected by the empty hole of not having a good father. Dad, I hope you are reading this, because I love you to death.

A lot of people think I look and act just like my dad. We are both big guys, with quite study facial hair. We are not the best lookings guys, but people say "your eyes light up just like your dad's when you smile." And that is one of the greatest compliments I have ever gotten.

My dad, Tim Landis, didn't only give me life, but he taught me life. I know that my dad cares for people, you can see it in his life and his actions. He started teaching Sunday School for the 5th and 6th graders when I was in the 6th grade. Dad believed he would only partake in this ministry until my younger brother Sam promoted to the junior high. However, he is now the "head honcho" still today. This will be his 10th year as a Sunday School teacher for the little guys. While I know they may fear his disciplinary style, I know from experience and others that it taught them well. My dad loves teaching about apologetics (defending the faith) against evolution. He has been doing a series on, "someone is making a monkey out of you," for quite some time. One of my best memories of my dad teaching is when we helped make a life sized Goliath. The students would then put a tennis ball in some sort of sling and try to defeat the nine foot giant. Kids ate it up. He brings snacks for the kids, takes them to breakfast, and gets to know about their families. Again, my dad, whether he admits it or not, loves those kids.

The greatest thing my Dad as done for me is how he taught me how to love your wife. My parents have been happily married for years and I know his love for her won't stop until one of them takes their last breath. He taught me how to throw a football, hit a baseball, and shoot a basketball, how to try hard and never give up, how to attempt to change a tire, how to ride my bike, how to rep Jayhawk pride above personal pride, how to handle my life when things get tough, how to make fun of Kstate and Missouri fans, and to keep my family above all other relationships I make. Some people say that when you are younger you dad is your superhero, but when you get older you realize he is not perfect. Although my dad is far from perfect, he is still my superhero.

Dad, I love you to death. Thanks for teaching me how to be a man. and a Jayhawk fan.

1 comment:

Charlie Landis said...

Ditto on everything! We are blessed to have such a great dad. And even though he won't admit it...he really does love those kids! lol